About Amersham Jazz Club
Amersham Jazz Club, founded in 1964, enthusiastically promotes live music performed by many of the
finest national and international Traditional Jazz bands. We have a full programme of
events featuring bands from all over the UK, and include special guest appearances throughout
the year of bands from Europe and USA.
- The Club meets every Wednesday evening at the Wycombe Marsh Royal British Legion.
- Doors open at 7:15pm. Music from 8:00 - 10.30pm.
- Please view the directions to our Club to help you find your way.
- The Club has established a good reputation for dancing with many of our regular visitors being keen dancers.
- A licensed bar is available from 7:15 - 10.30pm (sorry, no food available).
- Admission is £14 (unless otherwise stated). Admission charges are subject to change at short notice. Please contact the Club if in doubt.
- Other facilities include disabled access and toilets.
- A regular weekly feature is our raffle.
- Our programme for the coming months can be seen here.
The club was started in 1964 by Mike Reid in the Tudor Room at The Crown Hotel in Old Amersham. The Crown was an old coaching inn and the Tudor Room the former stables, complete with oak beams, an ideal place for a jazz club.
Initially four bands rotated led by Ken Colyer, Mike Daniels, Steve Lane and Keith Smith. As time went by other bands were introduced such as Alex Welsh and Monty Sunshine, plus guest Amercan artists like Willie The Lion Smith, Champion Jack Dupree, Kid Sheik and Captain John Handy. Probably the most memorable night was when Ruby Braff guested with the Alex Welsh band. After 10 years Mike Reid moved to Scotland and the club was run by Norman Wilson, with help from John Mitchell and Brian Hine.
A new company bought the hotel and after 18 years the club was asked to move so the room could be turned into bedrooms. The club moved to The White Hart in Beaconsfield for three years, then on to Beaconsfield Football Club (until Dec '21) and now our new venue, Wycombe Marsh Royal British Legion.
The club continues to enthusiastically promote line music performed by top traditional-style jazz bands across the UK and Europe.
Thank you for visiting our website. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
AJC is open each Wednesday evening from 7.15pm to 10.30pm.
Admission fee is £14 unless otherwise stated in the programme. Admission charges are subject to change at short notice. Please contact the Club if in doubt.
The bar is open from 7.15pm to 10.30pm. Sorry, no food available.
The Club has an excellent dance floor and dancing is a popular feature at the Club.
We hold a raffle each week.